Monday, August 17, 2009

Ebb & Flow

If you've known me for even a few years, you would know the great love I have had for ministry. Mostly, I've been involved in music ministry, drama ministry, and discipling younger women. I also have a great love for women's ministry in general, and I have loved women's meetings where we pray, share our lives, laugh together. These things have given me such a wonderful sense of fulfillment; I gave them my energy and devotion. And just being with God's people infuses me with joy. As a single woman, I had all the freedom in the world to give as much time and energy as I wanted to give to ministry in the body of Christ.

Now, I find myself in a different season of life. I haven't been regularly part of a church, let alone a church ministry, for some time. Jeff and I have been looking for a church for months, and just now we have found one that we feel at home in (finally!). We've been there three times; it's Blue Ridge Bible Church right here in Purcellville, and it's filled with wonderful godly genuine believers. Soon, of course, we'll be plugging into a small group (and I into the women's ministry) and we'll be able to have that fellowship that I've been longing for, but haven't been able to have, for so long. I can't wait.

But because we haven't been able to settle into a church for months, and because we're brand new to this church, it's not like I'm in any kind of "official" ministry right now. Instead, during this season my ministry is to my husband and stepchildren. Right here, right now, ministry is needed - in the truest sense of the word. Sometimes I'm sad that I'm not in an established church ministry - something I've been accustomed to since I was a preteen. But God looks on the ministry I'm in now as just as vital and meaningful and has called me to it.

The pastor at Blue Ridge Bible Church, Jack Gill, spoke yesterday on the Ebbs & Flows of our lives of ministry. He looked at the life of Paul with us and noted times when Paul was more focused on public ministry and times when he was more focused on the more mundane necessities of life. He compared that to our own lives, and showed us that sometimes we find ourselves in a season where circumstances keep us from public ministry; but God is still very much leading us and using us where we are, in the "sacredness of the ordinary".

After all, it's about how I fit into God's plan, not the other way around. What a privilege it is to be an instrument in His hands!

Enjoy these recent pics from the Case home...

Sporting my new Crocs I got online. They're much brighter than I thought they'd be... Jeff says I can wear them anywhere I want except where other people can see me.Jeff showing how much weight he's gained from my home cooking. ;) (Aunt Carol - notice the bowl. :) We use them all the time!)
Jeff and Kiff rocking out the to Beatles. Kiff's been taking piano lessons and doing so well. She's also starting her first job this afternoon! Pac Sun discount, here we come. :)

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that! :-) Oh, and love the shoes. You can wear them with anything - and that's all people will see. :-D

    ReplyDelete