James 1:7 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
Over the past couple years I have been thinking and meditating on what it really means to live to please God and do his will. As I've studied scripture, I have come to believe that if we live lives according to the wisdom spoken to us through the Bible, and as we walk in sweet communion with the Holy Spirit, we will inevitably please him. No divination of his "perfect will" is required. One of the scriptures I love to guide me in my Christian life is James 1:7. Caring for orphans and widows... It's so simple, and so necessary. I love that many Christian families are adopting orphans from not only the States but around the world ~ what a powerful testimony to the redemptive grace of our God! I doubt I'll be an adoptive mom, but I am blessed by those families around me who do adopt. I find my heart being pulled toward the opposite end of the spectrum: the widows - and, in general, the elderly who may not be able to care for themselves like they once were.
After Jeff and I were married and I didn't need to work full time anymore, I began to think about how I could invest my time for eternal purposes. I got involved in the worship team at church, naturally; but I felt there could be more. And it occurred to both Jeff and me, separately, that I might consider volunteering at a retirement home. I looked into that back in February and immediately began volunteering at Morningside House in Leesburg. It's an assisted living facility, and volunteering there is one of my regular weekly commitments. I LOVE IT. Can I tell you about it? :)
One thing I do there is have sing-alongs in the recreational room... And let me tell you, these precious older people love music!!! Especially the music from their generation. I bring my guitar and play all sorts of songs for them... When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again... Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree... God Bless America... My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean... You Are My Sunshine... Daisy, Daisy... And you should see the looks on their faces! This one sweet little old lady loves to sing Dixie ("Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton, old times there are not forgotten, look away, look away, look away Dixie Land...") and everytime we do, she gazes up at me with joy in her eyes and a childlike smile, singing away. Love it! We sing some hymns too - How Great Thou Art, What a Friend We Have in Jesus, Amazing Grace... One of the ladies (who has a sparkle in her eye as she gives me a tight hug and a kiss on the cheek) tells me over and over how much she enjoys singing these songs from her younger years. She hasn't heard them in a long time!
I like to put myself in their shoes as I spend time with them... I think it's good to remember that we will all grow old someday, unless the Lord takes us early. All the sweet men and women at Morningside (and the grouchy ones too) were, at one time, young and vibrant, full of dreams and plans, raising children, making a living, traveling the world... They've lived full lives. Now they find themselves in a world quite unlike the world in which they grew up. And they are nearing the end, on the brink of eternity. Until that day comes for them, their lives are defined by quiet and rest - and, often more than that, pain and loneliness. Why does it have to be that way? It breaks my heart.
Mrs. A is my favorite resident. When I began at Morningside, the volunteer supervisor suggested I might want to visit Mrs. A, who couldn't see very well and seemed to be depressed and lonely. So I went on up to her room, knocked on the door, and she sweetly welcomed me into her nicely decorated little apartment. We had a lovely visit together... I asked her about her life, I told her a little about mine, and we talked for maybe 45 minutes or an hour or so... I found out she is a believer, so we talked about that too. It was such a sweet time! And when the time came for me to leave, a disappointed look came over her face and she said, "Oh... oh, I wish you could stay!" I smiled and told her I'd be coming back... And as I was saying my goodbyes and getting myself together to leave, she suddenly exclaimed, "I love you!" And so what could I reply but, "Oh, well I love you too!" :) And she immediately said, with determination, "I love you more!" *giggle* Such a sweetie!
The next week, I went back to visit with her. She met me at the door with a firm, "Thank you, but it's okay. No need to come in." I acquiesced, she shut the door, and I walked down the hallway with my heart in my stomach. Why in the world did she shut me out? Did she really not want my visit? Did she simply not want to take up my time? I wasn't sure, but I was sure that I wouldn't give up. I went back the next week, and from that point on we have enjoyed visit after visit. I even took Kiff with me one day, and of course she loved her. :) Sometimes I bring my guitar and give her a private concert. Sometimes we pray together. And whenever I leave my visit with Mrs. A, she tells me, "Thank you so very much," and "I love you," and on and on. Oh my goodness, I can't tell you how fulfilling it is to befriend this dear lady! I just love her.
Yesterday, I had helped her downstairs so she could be a part of the sing-along, and then I walked her back to her room afterward. As we were saying our goodbyes in her little entryway, she just clung to me and thanked me over and over again, told me she loved me over and over again, and said "I pray for you every night. You bring me so much joy!"
Do you see why I absolutely love volunteering there?
I'll tell you about my other favorite resident, Mrs. L, next time. :)
In the meantime, let us all look after the orphans and widows in our areas of influence. We are needed!
What a wonderful ministry, Sylvie! I'm sure you'll all immensely benefit from your times together.
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome!!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you bring a great deal of sunshine into the lives of these people!
ReplyDeleteThat is so sweet Sylvie, I got a little teary! What an amazing thing you are doing!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet story of a ministry that brings so much joy both ways!
ReplyDelete