Wednesday, October 19, 2011

It was a fabulous New England birthday vacation!

Jeff and I had an absolutely fantastic time in New England last week! The foliage wasn't too far along in Connecticut or the Boston area, but there was some. Later in the week when we drove back home through central and western Massachusetts, we saw much more. And the weather was gorgeous - except for one rainy day (which we spent at the JFK Museum outside Boston). It was great Jeff & Sylvie time. Every day we did something different and just really enjoyed ourselves! The Berkshires were probably my favorite... I think they'll be seeing more of us in the future!

Our first day was spent in Mystic, CT... What a beautiful and peaceful seaside town!

Here's what greeted me on the morning of my birthday! I love love love autumn leaves!

We spent my birthday in Boston... Our first stop: Harvard University.

Where Grandpa & Grandma Enlow were married! I forgot about that when I was there, but I had it somewhere in my mind that it was special in our family for some reason...

The day continued with a walk through Boston Common and Public Garden.

Birthday girl in Public Garden!



In honor of "Make Way for Ducklings"! :)

We enjoyed lunch in the Hub Pub as we walked through Boston on our way to Fanueil Hall & Quincy Market.


After a bit of shopping in Quincy Market, we had dinner at Durgin Park! It was soooo yum, and a delightful atmosphere. :)

My birthday bread pudding! Amazingly good. I left that place STUFFED.

Next day: Concord and Lexington. This shot is in Concord right on the edge of the village green.

What a STUD!!!

Walden Pond


In Sleepy Hollow Cemetery just outside Concord. I didn't realize it was a real place! It was gorgeous. I LOVE cemeteries. They're so peaceful and beautiful and .... sobering.

This shot was looking down the hill, at the edge of the gravesites, into the eerie-looking swamp. Really cool.

We drove by this gorgeous field on our way to Lexington. This was probably the best foliage we saw in eastern Mass... So beautiful, it almost hurts. That's the way it is for me, anyway! Fall foliage is just one of the most beautiful things in the whole wide world to me.

The driveway bordering the field above. Just like a postcard! I love it.

On our way back home, we stopped at the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge in the Berkshires. It was GORGEOUS there!!! Stockbridge is such a beautifully quaint little town; and I love Norman Rockwell, so visiting his museum was a treat.

This red building we were walking to, which was across the lawn from the museum, was his studio when he lived in Stockbridge. All the things inside were original - his chair, his pipe, his easels, etc etc... So neat!



We stopped in the Stockbridge General Store for some old-fashioned ice cream! I could just picture Norman stopping in for a cone too, getting ideas for his next painting.

Since Jeff and I are going to an Episcopal church now, this shot is kinda special to me. This beautiful old Episcopal church is on the main street in Stockbridge. (It smelled funny inside, though.)
Sidewalk in Stockbridge. I'm in love!

4 comments:

  1. Park Street is my home church in Boston!
    What a fun trip. By the way, your hair looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! I'm so glad the weather was good for your time up here and that there was at least some color. It's been a rather colorless fall, but you found some beauty, to be sure. New England is generally THE place to be in the fall. :-) What lovely memories you'll have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful pictures! New England sure does have a charm all its own and I'm so glad you got to enjoy it for a birthday treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your New England Fall pictures. Boy do I miss the foliage. We get a little over here, but you really have to hunt for it. Last weekend we went up on Gaiberg mountain here in Heidelberg where they have trees planted from all over the world. There are fun ones like redwoods ... and I found a SUGAR MAPLE! Who'd have thought! It was a little bit of home. So glad you enjoyed your jaunt through New England. I can't wait to do that with my kids some day!! Oh, and that Episcopal Church reminds me of the one in Robin Hood!

    ReplyDelete