Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Math Teacher or English Teacher?

I am having a wonderful time as a teacher. Some days are better than others, but overall it's great to be using gifts that have been dormant for a long time. I love my students and feel privileged to have the opportunity to invest in their lives. One girl, for example, keeps saying, "I'm terrible at math!" to which I respond, every time, "The more you say that, the more it will be true!" Then I encourage her to tell herself that she can get better at math. She isn't quite convinced yet, but I'm working on her. :) Other students tell me that math lab is making a big difference in how they feel about their regular math class -- and that is half the battle. Making math fun for my students gives them more confidence that they can get better at it.

That said, I am not such a math fan! I can do it and I understand it and I can teach it, but it is not my passion. I am also certified in middle school and high school English, and, even though English teaching positions are not so easy to get, a possible opportunity is before me to become a high school English teacher. My instructional coach (assigned to me from the county because I'm a first-year teacher) has connections and said she is pretty sure she can pull some strings and get me an English position in a great high school on the other end of the county. (Since we hope to move this summer, we would aim for a house closer to that school than where we are now, which is where we would have gone anyway.) So... I plan to observe a high school English classroom over the next few weeks (next week, hopefully) and see if it might be a good fit for me. Pray for wisdom!

Not wanting to put all my eggs in one basket, especially since English teachers are plentiful in this area and math teachers are in demand, I still plan to get my high school math certification. I am scheduled to take the Praxis test on February 8. I just took a practice test today and did well enough to pass, but they say the real thing is more difficult, so we'll see! I've got three more weeks to study.

Aside from school, things are great! Jeff and I have been going to a Presbyterian church in Leesburg, and it's a great fit for us. Also, some huge news (to me) is that I have finally found the answer to my migraines. It's funny... In "modern medicine" they say there is no cure for migraines and that they don't know what causes them. Not even true. I've been going to see a QRA practitioner who discovered the underlying cause of my migraines and helped me through a natural process of detoxing and taking supplements. Not only am I migraine-free, I also can eat all those foods that triggered migraines before! It's so incredible to be able to eat chocolate again, and yogurt, and Parmesan cheese, etc... Big wow!!! More than 15 years of migraines... over!!! Yayyyyy and praise God!!

2 comments:

  1. That is SUCH awesome news about the migraines!!!! Does that doctor have an office in Rifle, Colorado? Praying for you for the Praxis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're enjoying teaching and feeling how you are impacting those under your care. Have you ever heard of Khan Academy? Maybe it would help some kids who are struggling with a specific concept. https://www.khanacademy.org/

    Sylvie, absolutely amazing that you're migraine free! Praise the Lord! Much easier to teach and live life without migraines!

    ReplyDelete