Meet my new friend, Clark. (I named him Clark. I don't know why, but that's the first name that popped into my head when I was trying to think of a name for him.)
Clark, the Praying Mantis.

As soon as I saw him, I ran inside to grab my camera. Clark noticed my frenzy and calmly kept his eye on me the whole time.
The whole time.
See those two teeny black dots in the middle of his eyes?

Reaching the summit. Eyes still on me. While those two black dots might seem freaky, they were actually really cool. Knowing that he was looking at me, I knew I was really interacting with him - another one of God's creatures.

Calmly relaxing on the top. Eyes still on me.

I wasn't sure if we were having a staring contest or if we were making friends, so I opted to be friends with him. This is where I named him "Clark." Then we just chilled together for a while. Clark and Sylvie, just chilling and staring.

Everywhere I moved, his head turned. I moved around to the left, and he followed, eventually moving his whole body to face that way.

I stuck out my finger to see what he would do... I couldn't take a picture of it, but he climbed up onto my hand and arm. I sort of freaked out and then deposited him on the table. Eyes still on me.

So... I put my feet up and we had a nice little visit.

Until Jeff came out. Clark was a little scared of Jeff.

He decided to leave. I asked him to stay, but he slowly and steadily made his way in the opposite direction. Sadness.

Jeff even tried to make up by putting a dead bug next to him to see if he would eat it. I guess Clark only likes to eat live bugs.

He jumped off the table. That was that.
I wonder if I'll ever see Clark again.
(I think I'll make this into a children's book!)
As I would say to Jesse when he tries to eat something off the floor: "Yucky-poo!!"
ReplyDelete