Thursday, February 17, 2011

Oh how I love a healthy, organized, and clean kitchen...

Some changes have been happening in Jeff's and my kitchen lately...

It more or less started with my realizing that fruits and vegetables that come from the supermarket really need to be cleaned - and not just with water. The people that pick the vegetables and fruit might not be using good hygiene practices, and then the by the time the food gets to us, it's contaminated. I've known about this for a while but hadn't really done enough about it.

Then I went to see a nutritionist friend of mine, Margie Lung, who also does herbal remedies for various ailments. She's a mature Christian woman who goes to my church, and I've come to really respect her; so when she said she believed she could help me with my migraines (which have been more frequent lately), I felt confident to give it a try. And learning from her has increased my sensitivity to the need to make sure that what I'm putting into our bodies is bringing health and not sickness.

Then... Jeff and I watched Barbara Walters' special the other week on heart surgery - called "A Matter of Life and Death". As you know, Jeff had open heart surgery in the fall of 2009, so this is a topic of interest to us. Barbara Walters has had open heart surgery and she spoke quite openly about it. She also interviewed a few other high profile people who have had open heart surgery, including Bill Clinton, Regis Philbin, David Letterman, Charlie Rose, and Robin Williams. It was quite a moving and eye-opening documentary. Bill Clinton revealed that after his bypass surgery (the blockages were due to unhealthy eating habits), he became a vegan ~ and, of course, lost weight as a result which everyone noticed; but he's also much healthier than he was before.

Last Sunday after church, as Jeff and I were out to eat together (steak and eggs in front of him, and a BLT and fries in front of me), Jeff suggested, almost out-of-the-blue, that he wanted to try a vegetarian diet for a while. He's actually been pondering that for years, but never went ahead and tried it. And the Barbara Walters special that we had just seen stirred the idea in him. I was all for it ~ because I don't really like meat all that much anyway and because I love being healthy. So, we're giving it a go! For a little while, at least.

The food on our menu? Meatless (aka tofu) tacos... aloo gobi with brown rice (an Indian dish with cauliflower and garbanzo beans and potatoes and lots of fun spices)... salmon (yes, we're continuing eating fish)... vegetarian chili... lentil soup... egg dishes (in moderation)... things like that. Oh, and a spinach salad every night. It's a fun little adventure we're on!

I'm also cleaning all fruits and vegetables as soon as they come into the house with a special cleaner that contains limonene oil. (I got this from my nutritionist friend.) It takes a little time after I get home from the grocery store, but it's worth it. I'm also planning my own little vegetable garden for this summer... We'll see how that goes. I've never had my own vegetable garden before.

I'm also going to start using a dryer ball instead of dryer sheets... I just learned that they are full of awful contaminants that can be harmful to our health. Goodness gracious ~ why is our world so contaminated? Oh yeah. Sin. Right.

:/

Bottom line: Jeff and I aren't going overboard (at least I don't think we are), but we are making little changes that make sense to us and that help us be healthier people. And I've also determined to not blindly believe what the food industry tells me. I'm going to be smarter than that.

Our goal is heaven; we certainly don't believe we can achieve perfect health on this sin-tainted earth. But at the same time, these decaying bodies of ours are also the temple of the Holy Spirit, which deserves respect. And after years of nearly weekly migraines (and sometimes more often than that) - lemme tell ya, I'm all for eating well to avoid sickness as much as possible!

(By the way, we'll know in a couple months if Margie's theory about my migraines is correct... You better believe I'll be proclaiming it to the world if this regimen works!)

2 comments:

  1. AMEN!! Good for you guys!! Keep me posted on how it goes. I would be interested in if you try any meatless meat that you like. I like tofu but soy dogs and stuff like that I havent found.
    Also what is the name of the cleaner for the veggies and where can I get some?? I know I should be doing more than water but dont know what to do.
    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Keni!! I will keep you posted! The only meatless meat we've had so far is tofu, so I'll let you know if we try anything else... Our grocery store here does sell other tofu products, but I've tried tofu products before and haven't really liked them... Anyway, the stuff I use to clean the vegetables with is called Quantum Limonene Complex (found at http://radiantlightnutrition.com/item.asp?PID=1522). It's pretty expensive ($30 for 2 oz), but it lasts for a long time because you're only using a couple of drops at a time. It's basically orange essential oil, so maybe there's another place you could get it ~ I just wouldn't know where..... :)

    ReplyDelete