I went on my church's women's retreat this past weekend... And let me tell you - this group of ladies is such a special one! I've known special ladies throughout my life - in Pennsylvania, Shanghai, and Lexington - and God in his faithfulness has provided a whole bunch more for me here. Truly. I am so thankful for them. You know that sweet and genuine fellowship between sisters in Christ, the honesty in sharing with each other our struggles and joys, the shared love for the Savior...? Love it! So glad to have found it here. :)
The theme of our retreat was "Ascend to Joyful Living" and focused on joy vs. depression, and how sin can play a significant role in whether we live our lives in joy or in depression. Bottom line: die to self. Take self off the throne of your heart. Christ is the only one who should be there. Tough stuff to swallow.... but vital if we are to please the Lord and live in true freedom.
Here is our guest speaker, Margaret Ashmore of Texas, complete with a true Texan accent, humor, gracious spirit, doctrinal integrity, and straight-shot declaration of the truth. No fluff here! Love her! She happens to be from Denton Bible Church (Tommy Nelson's church) and is a counselor.

Margaret is single and came to the Lord as an adult, was engaged once but lost her fiance to cancer before they got married, and then faced (and survived) breast cancer herself. Lots of real-life experiences, and good ability to identify with hurting people.

We got to enjoy a few fun skits... Here on the right is Heather who (under that crazy wig) happens to look a lot like me! We both have full and curly red hair. :) She is an encourager and a gracious speaker of the truth. I love her.

Another skit...

A little guess-who game I participated in...

Rocky Gap Resort in Cumberland, MD, is beautiful! The lake was frozen, and it was pretty cold out so I didn't spend any time outside. In the summer, though, there are trails and fun outdoorsy things to explore.

They had a full service restaurant downstairs (their crab cakes were delish) and this lovely, spacious lobby.

This is my new friend (I'm really eager to get to know her more), Terry, who shared her testimony. And... wow! If you were there and heard it too, tears would have been streaming down your face, just like the rest of us. What an amazing story of God's redeeming grace! She grew up in a Christian home, then made some unwise choices in her youth and soon found herself homeless in Philadelphia... but God never let go of her! Now, years later, she has a wonderful husband and three beautiful children. She is a trophy of the grace of God.

Here's the worship team. I couldn't play the guitar, because of my wrist surgery just prior to the retreat, but I did sing. Christy did a wonderful job in selecting the songs and in leading us.

A new friend, Anna (I think... but you know what, it could be her twin, Abby.... hmmm... you can tell I'm REALLY GOOD friends with them), and me - red curly locks and all. :)

Wish you could know them all!! Maybe in heaven. :)
Wow your hair has grown. So pretty!!
ReplyDelete